Monday, June 20, 2011

mndy cvr


Anotha Monday, Anotha Dolla...or in my case anotha attempt at stretching that dolla so it lasts another week, though that's ERRONEOUS to the task at hand.

Today's cover pushes the definition of 'cover' to the brink. I've chosen to highlight Tupac's "Do for Love" which samples the beat and the chorus from Bobby Caldwell's "What You Won't do for Love" (pictured at right). While it can be argued that this is merely a sampling of beat and chorus with different verses, it was his birthday.. give him a break! And ladies and gentleman, less we forget, it is TUPAC we are talking about.. 'rules' don't apply.

I remember convincing my freshman-year English teacher (Ms. Freeman) to let me do my end-of-year project on a famous poet on Tupac, arguing quite admirably that he was a poet for an extreme minority that previously had very little representation. Using this song, "Dear Mama" and "Brenda's Got a Baby" I was able to establish Mr. Shakur as a legitimate street poet that shed light on the shortcomings of our economical, political and social systems' reach in South Central LA.. Pretty genius way to get an A I thought. My research consisted of listening to music outside while everyone else poured over pages of Emily Dickinson in the library.

Tangent's aside, here's today's cover AND original, as some may not be familiar. Enjoy beezys.



Original


For those of you who just can't get past my bending of the rules....Here ya go. Yeah that's Boyz II Men AND MC Lyte covering the exact same song...it doesn't get more legit than that



ballerdash

No comments:

Post a Comment