Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Ah the Urban Fall

Touche Charles River, touche. Just as I was beginning to accept the fact that I'd miss fall once again by spending my autumn months in Boston's concrete jungle, today threw me for a loop.
On an impulse call, I skipped my first hour of work study this morning to hit up a bike ride along the Charles. I've been doing that since about June as a general stress reliever and time passer, but I had kind of figured the rides would be over by late October. Thankfully mother nature blessed us with a random gorgeous day, and I really couldn't pass it up.

I've heard from friends and family around New England that peak foliage season was about over, but around my apartment trees are either still green or leafless, leaving a very distorted image of supposed fall foliage. However, along my ride this morning I really got to see a full array of colors; Brilliant oranges, bright yellows and reds lined the pathway and I started to realize just how many different trees are down by the water, pretty cool. Now I know I sound like an old tourist when I talk about this stuff, but I'm kind of a sucker for a good photo and that's exactly what I was riding through for the entirety of my 40 minute ride. It felt really great to lose myself in another world, especially one I don't really get to see much in the city.

It's unbelievable how close we live to the Charles and yet I feel like very few of us actually go down there. I tried to make a point of it this summer, but since school has started I've again started taking it for granted. I'm hoping this weekend offers some more good days so I can take advantage of the scenery before it takes a turn for the worse, and if you have the time, I strongly suggest you do the same, if, for nothing else, just to clear your head. All I can say is that I'm glad I took a right turn out of my apartment and headed down to the river this morning, as it put a completely new light on an otherwise ordinary day.

Next time I'll bring a camera, but hey it offers you a chance to get down there and discover it for yourself, and I'd say it's worth it. Aight dudes and dudettes, as always, B EZ.

No comments:

Post a Comment