Friday, November 19, 2010

Between a Rock and... well.. a Rock

Ok the title is a little brutal but hear me out. I watched "127 Hours" this week, the story of climber Aron Ralston, the man who got his arm caught between a boulder and a canyon wall and was forced to amputate his own arm to survive.
The lengths Aron (played by James Franco) goes to survive are more than impressive, and his understanding of the wilderness he battles is second to none. There is no doubt this man is at home in the wild and understands the inherent risks involved with his dangerous past times.

And this is where I have my issues with sympathy. Someone so survival-savvy and experienced decides to go out on this jaunt that eventually costs him his arm and tells... no one? Not a soul. And for this he nearly loses his life. I'm not saying that he deserved what happened to him by any means- he was incredibly unlucky- but use common sense guy! Tell someone? Leave a note?

What I took from it is our arrogance as a whole when it comes to nature. No matter ow well prepared we are, if the respect for the danger isn't there, then your set up for failure. Ralston had the appreciation for nature, but I think he lacked the respect for nature's awesome power. Mother Nature really is the boss lady, definitely not one to be messed with. I'm glad Ralston survived, but I was most happy that he realized his errors and was given a chance to atone for them later.
From a visual perspective the movie was awesome, showing some amazing landscapes and making me ache that much more for a return trip West. It really is some beautiful country. Considering a majority of the action is James Franco stuck to a rock, the movie is pretty entertaining and I would definitely recommend. As for the previous stuff...that's my rant and I'm sticking to it. B EZ squids...

No comments:

Post a Comment